New work: Green bouquet

 

 

 

Progress: “Spilled Pomegranates” (blocking in)

I blocked in the color after diner last night.  You can see above that I started with a thin layer of the basic color I will use for the cloth.
I blocked in the colour after dinner last night. You can see above that I started with a thin layer of the basic color I will use for the cloth.
The shadows are blocked in next.
The shadows are blocked in next.
I needed to vary my reds and keep the painting from getting boring.  This will become more obvious as I start to add thicker paint.
I needed to vary my reds and keep the painting from getting boring. This will become more obvious as I start to add thicker paint.
Lastly I added the fleshy part of the open pomegranates.  After I was done I began to wonder what I was thinking  challenging myself like this.  The work ahead of me is going to be tedious but I know the end result will be worth it.
Lastly I added the fleshy part of the open pomegranates. After I was done I began to wonder what I was thinking challenging myself like this. The work ahead of me is going to be tedious but I know the end result will be worth it.

Painting the fabric on my latest work

After laying in the basic beige for the fabric with a palette knife, I use a brush loaded with paint to drawn in the stems and leaves of the pattern.
After laying in the basic beige for the fabric with a palette knife, I used a brush loaded with paint to draw in the stems and leaves of the pattern.
fabric detail
fabric detail
A view from my easel.  You can see I have added the flowers to the fabric now.
A view from my easel. You can see I have added the flowers to the fabric now.
Fabric done.  I finished the pomegranates as well, they were beginning to look turn a funny colour.
Fabric done. I finished the pomegranates as well, they were beginning to turn a funny colour.

I’m on a roll! Magenta and tangerine- 30 x 30 inches on cradled panel

I just had to use those lilies in something else, they were practically begging to be painted again.  So I went with a magenta and orange theme with blue and teal accents in the cloth.  A daring colour combo but I wanted to paint something bold.  I set the still life up last night before dinner.  I was supposed to paint the next morning but I couldn’t wait!  I was only going to sketch it in but once that happened there was no stopping me.  I finally came to a stopping point at around 5am!  Here are some pics:

The set up. How could I resist?  Look at those lilies!
The set up. How could I resist? Look at those lilies!
Colour blocked in.
Colour blocked in.
Lilies taking shape.
Lilies taking shape.
Adding the finishing touches.
Adding the finishing touches.
Lilies done.
Lilies done.

Painting process: Lilies w/ white peaches (canvas, 36 x 36 inches)

My set up.  Red , pink and green is the theme.
My set up. Red , pink and green is the theme.
The sketch.
The sketch.
I am starting by blocking in the greens.
I am starting by blocking in the greens.
More colours blocked in.
More colours blocked in.
I move to the dark red in the vase before adding the red background.
I move to the dark red in the vase before adding the red background.
I added the red last so I didn't go too dark.
I added the red last so I didn’t go too dark.
Detail finished on the flowers, vases and cloth.  I just have the fruit, bowl and foreground to finish.  I have been working on this off and on since Saturday evening.  I hope to finish today.
Detail finished on the flowers, vases and cloth. I just have the fruit, bowl and foreground to finish. I have been working on this off and on since Saturday evening. I hope to finish today.